A PACE THAT SUITS YOU
FITTER FASTER LEANER
YOU DESERVE IT
Build a fitter you
Our gym membership gives you full access to the gym & lifestyle programs 7 days a week.
Do you know how fit you really are?
Get a full Lifestyle check including BMI, blood pressure, peak flow and more.
Community & Commitments
- Endeavour to ensure that our community has the opportunity to achieve their full potential in all sports and leisure activity provided by the board.
- Provide the highest standard of instruction and training possible in a safe, secure, fair and enjoyable nvironment, and uphold the terms and conditions of the Child Protection Act.
- Provide competitive opportunities for members of the community.
- Ensure the organisation is fully inclusive.
- Enhance the status and reputation of the multi sports club within the community.
- Promote lifelong positive values and qualities in our community and members.
Involve the community within the ethos of the club facilitating meeting rooms for leisure and social activities.
- Ensure the leisure facility becomes a focal point of the community.
- Communicate regularly, either by newsletter, email, website or club notice boards, relevant news and all current and future main activities.
- Engage with various community groups to provide the services they require.
- Actively form links with Education (Schools, Adult Education), Health (Doctor’s Surgery) and Social Services to provide a bespoke leisure venue to facilitate their requirements to achieve their objectives of curriculum achievement and Healthy Lifestyles.
- The Board and the leisure facility will be Honest, Fair and Transparent and run with Integrity for the Community.
Al Thompson GP
Dr Alistair Thompson born in Bolton but lived in Atherton almost all his life. Been a GP in Atherton for over forty years and come from a family of GPs who have served the local people since 1938. He has had an interest in Mental Health and more recently has
helped commission services with the primary care trust to improve the well being
of the people of Ashton, Leigh and Wigan.
The Pelican centre is a significant opportunity for the local community to improve their physical and emotional health. Exercise is an important component of keeping
healthy. Health and wellbeing after illnesses as varied as depression, heart attack and cancer is proven to be better when exercise is part of life after illness. There is also great benefit to health and wellbeing from the development of relationships and community.
A Lecturer specialising in Numeracy Hons Degree in Mathematics and PGDE in Education, A member of the management board of Tyldesley Swimming and Water Polo Club. A member of Wigan Swimming Development Group and also a board member of Swim Northwest which is the regional arm of the Amateur Swimming Association. Level 1 teacher at Swimming and Water Polo. Also acts as a doping observer for the ASA in protecting the interest of athletes and is hopeful of continuing to do this role at the forthcoming Olympics as a volunteer.
Qualified accountant now retired, but formerly Finance Director and Company Secretary of Wigan Leisure and Culture Trust and of other "Wigan Council associated organisations", including Positive Futures Ltd., Wigan Borough Chamber of Commerce Ltd. and Proco Ltd.
Previous senior financial positions in the NHS, other public sector organisations and the private sector.
I am a local resident having lived in Astley and Tyldesley all my life. I have a B.Sc (Hons) in Chemistry and a P.G.C.E. I qualified as a secondary teacher in 1994 and for the past 14 years I have taught science at Fred Longworth High School in Tyldesley.I hope to establish firm educational links with Secondary Schools and the Pelican Group. I am married with two children who are both very keen swimmers; they are the third generation in our family to use and enjoy the pool! I want the pool to be open for the next three generations to come!
I currently work for the ASA based at Manchester Aquatics Centre. My connections to the Pelican Centre go back over many years via TSWPC, as a parent, then teacher, coach, vice president and now President and grandparent. I am involved with swimming at all levels, from’ learn to swim to podium’ and swimmers on a local, county, regional and national level. I am fully committed to support the Pelican Centre to retain and develop its facilities for the community’.